Your First Dental Implant Procedure: What to Expect
If you are having a missing tooth to be replaced and you have opted for the dental implants, you may go through some apprehensions thinking about what to expect from the procedure and if it will hurt. It’s not a simple procedure but knowing about it will help.
The main steps of a dental implant:
- The dentist near New Jersey will take an x-ray to evaluate your bone and gum conditions and identify signs of warning.
- If the tooth to be replaced still exists, it will be removed.
- After extraction, a hole will be drilled in the jawbone for placing the titanium screw in the jawbone which works as artificial tooth root.
- The permanent crown will be attached to the abutment and you are done!
Does a dental implant hurt?
It’s the anticipation of pain that causes anxiety and the actual procedure is painless. You may feel little poking around, pressure, and vibration from the drill. After the anesthesia wears off, you may feel discomfort, but there is no pain.
But my dentist didn’t tell me…!
It’s important to research on your own and ask questions to dentist so that you know what happens before, during, and after the procedure.
5 tips for avoiding surprises
- Pen down notes in your phone so that you don’t forget anything during consultation.
- Ask the office staff if there is any material or book on the procedure.
- Do your own research in advance.
- Talk with someone who has gone through the procedure.
6 things you need to know beforehand
- It is a long procedure where the jawbone will take time to heal.
- You must expect the entire procedure including crown to cost between 3000 to 5000 dollars/ tooth.
- You will not leave the office with a tooth but a temporary crown will be placed.
- You must stock your fridge with soft foods so that you can avoid eating hard food items for a week.
- You may need to take antibiotics for preventing infection.
- The procedure may take long time so keep yourself free for the rest of the day.